Published August 07, 2020
A side hustle (AKA a “side gig” or “side job”) is a great way to earn extra income, build a portfolio, and gain experience. And it’s only getting more common. According to Bankrate, 49 percent of Americans under 35 reported having a side hustle in 2019. You’re probably wondering if it’s time to start your own! In this post, we’ve highlighted 6 signs of a successful side hustler. If any of these apply to you, it might be time to get started.
1. You want (or need) extra income
That same report from Bankrate showed that money was far and away the most important factor for those operating a side hustle. The study revealed that nearly one third of those who have a side hustle need the extra income to pay their bills, while another 34 percent stated they just wanted the extra disposable income. Simply put, money talks. If you’re the type of person who wants or needs some extra side income, a side hustle is likely a great fit for you.
2. You’re self-motivated
Being able to set your own schedule is a major benefit of a side hustle. But it can also be dangerous. When there is no one to tell you what to do and when to do it, some people lose motivation. And that’s perfectly fine! But to have a successful side hustle, self-motivation is vital. Being able to buckle down and get work done when no one is watching is a valuable skill to have, especially when you’re self-employed.
3. You feel bored with work
If you’re feeling bored or unexcited about your job, you’re not alone. It might be more common than you think. In fact, according to Udemy’s report 43 percent of workers stated that they were bored with their current job. If you’re feeling unfulfilled with work, take a passion of yours and turn it into a side hustle. It will get you excited about working again, and you’ll build a portfolio towards your eventual end goal. And who knows? It might even take off and turn into full-time work for you!
4. You have a unique skill
The easiest place to start when deciding on a side hustle is by going with what you know. Do you have a strong skill? Are you artistic? Maybe you’re good with computers or numbers. Or maybe you’re an expert handyperson. Leverage something you’re passionate about into a side hustle, and the work will feel a lot less like work. If you’re good at it, you might as well get paid for it! But if you’re unsure where to start, check out this list of side hustle ideas from The Simple Dollar.
5. You have time to spare
Some people relish the time when they get to come home from work, sit back, and do nothing all evening. There’s nothing wrong with that! But some people can’t stand that “unproductive” feeling. If you’re the type who hates sitting still, consider starting up a side hustle. It will occupy that spare time, and you’ll earn valuable experience (not to mention the extra cash). If you’re looking to stay busy, a side hustle is a great place to start.
6. You’re not afraid of hard work
Starting a side hustle isn’t all rainbows and direct deposits. There’s no magic button you can push that will make clients flock to you for your services. It takes a lot of time and effort to make it work, but that hard work is worth it when you’re collecting those invoices. If the work doesn’t scare you off, then you’re on the right track. So set a goal, roll up your sleeves, and get started. You got this!
When it’s time to get paid, send your clients an invoice that stands out. Use one of our more than 300 templates to create an invoice, and set up payment links to make receiving payments even easier!
- HOW TO: Add Two Taxes or a Compounded Tax to an Invoice
- HOW TO: Manually Mark Invoices as Paid
- HOW TO: Copy Invoice Items Quickly!
- HOW TO: Add Taxable and Non-Taxable Items on One Invoice
- HOW TO: Self-Organized Invoicing is Here!
- HOW TO: Get Paid in a Flash With Payment Links!
- HOW TO: Invoice Customers Faster With the Email Feature!
- HOW TO: Copy an Invoice to Create a New One
- 300 Stunning Invoice Templates for a Polished, Professional Look!
- 3 Tips For Enjoying Summer, Even When You Have to Work!
- 7 Ways to Prevent Work-From-Home Burnout
- How to Get a Customer to Pay Your Invoice
- New Year’s Resolutions for Small Business Owners
- Holiday Gifts for Small Business Owners
- Why You Should Use an Invoice Template Software
- Managing & Engaging Your Remote Employees
- How to Deal With Difficult Customers
- How to Send an Invoice
- 4 Simple Steps to Start Freelancing
- How Your Business Can Profit From Halloween
- You’re Setting the Wrong Goals for Your Business
- How to Get Over Your Phone Anxiety
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business
- 4 Steps to Take When Taking on a New Client
- Introducing Cash Receipt Templates!
- How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
- 9 Invoicing Documents, and When You Should Use Them
- Common Mistakes Freelancers Make
- How to Network Without Leaving Your Home
- 6 Signs That You Might be Ready for a Side Hustle
- 8 Financial Blogs Small Business Owners Need to Read
- How to Prevent Late Payments on Invoices
- Top 10 Countries by Startup Ecosystem
- 5 Reasons To Use Paperless Invoices
- How to Avoid a Toxic Workplace
- Why You Should Upgrade to Unlimited Invoicing
- Tech and Economy: How Tel Aviv became the Start-up City
- The Importance of Customer Service
- What is an Invoice?
- 5 Plants to Minimize Toxins & Maximize Productivity
- M-Commerce in Developing Countries
- Customize Your Invoice
- 9 Ways to Vacation Stress-Free
- How to Get Your Laptop Spring-Ready
- The Truth About Failure
- 5 Women You Should Know About
- The Most Expensive Super Bowl Ads of All Time
- Top 10 Cities for Female Entrepreneurs
- Jobs That Didn't Exist 20 Years Ago
- Gifts for the Entrepreneur in Your Life
- How to Secure Your Small Business
- Unique Ways to Thank Your Customers
- Best Cities to Live in With a Salary of $50,000
- How to Separate Yourself from Your Business
- How to Manage Your Mental Health as a Business Owner
- Books to Read Before Starting a Business
- 5 Ways to Get Loyal Customers
- Why You Should Take a Staycation
- Businesses You Can Start While Working Full Time
- Should Freelancers Ever Work for Free?
- How to Stay Active at the Office
- Best Business Ideas for People Who Love to Travel
- How to Perfect Your Elevator Pitch
- The Best Places in the World to Work Online From
- 5 Businesses You Can Start for Free
- How to Organize Your Desk for Maximum Productivity
- How Your Business Can Profit off the World Cup
- What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Business
- How to Become a Wedding Planner
- Why Veterans Make Perfect Entrepreneurs
- Why Every Day Should Be "Take Your Dog to Work Day"
- 3 tips For First-Time Freelancers
- 3 Tips for a Stress-Free Vacation
- Spring Cleaning in The Office
- 5 Tips When Starting Your Business
- New to Invoicing
- 3 Tips on Last Minute Tax Filing
- Characteristics of a Successful Business Owner
- Accomplishing Your 2018 Goals
- How to Set and Achieve Your New Year's Goals
- Tips For Boosting Your Productivity
- Motivational Quotes to Get You Through Any Day
- New Flags on The Template Gallery!
- Be Featured on Our Site!
- How to Create Your First Invoice
- A Helping Hand on the Road to Success
- How Wine and Invoicing Go Together
- How to Use 'My Reports' as Statements
- 1st Day of Summer
- A Faster Way to Organize and View Your Documents
- 3 Ways to Wrap Up Your Month
- 5 Activities You Have Time for While Using Invoice Home
- Creating a Partial Payment
- What Invoices and Technology have in Common
- Get an Invoice that Suits You
- Need more details in your Invoice? No problem! Use the Advanced Form.
- Ready to bill your client? Awesome! Time to convert your Estimate into an Invoice.
- Stay organized! Bookmark customers, unpaid.. Here’s how!
- Providing discounts? Effortless work-flow here!
- 500 Free Business Logos for You!
- Don't mess with passwords anymore!
- See why the New Invoice Home got a 5 Star Rating!
- 100 Professional Invoice Templates to promote your Brand