Published November 03, 2020
Before You Send
Before you send an invoice (and before you even do the work), it’s important that you and your customer are on the same page. You don’t want to surprise them by asking for a payment amount that they weren’t aware of.
Even if you are working without a formal contract, you should always communicate and have your customer agree to some preliminary payment terms. Once you and the customer have reached an agreement, send a services agreement before undertaking the project. It sounds intimidating, but don’t worry. You don’t need a lawyer for this. There are plenty of templates out there for you to use.
This agreement should detail a final price, payment due dates, and any late fees should a customer pay after the due date. When the customer signs this agreement, you have proof that they have agreed to all terms and conditions of the transaction. This also serves as a resource that you can refer back to if a price or payment dispute with your customer arises.
Creating an Invoice
Once you’ve completed the work, it’s time to create your invoice for your customer. Don’t worry, we’ve already put together a guide on creating your first invoice. Invoice Home makes creating an invoice easy, so head to our invoice generator and get started!
Sending Your Invoice
Your terms are agreed upon, the work is done, and the invoice is created. Awesome! Now let’s get you paid.
Typically, it’s good practice to send an invoice to your customer immediately after delivering the final product. This ensures that you stay in the front of your customer’s mind, and makes it less likely that you’ll need to keep “chasing” that invoice.
Save a tree, and send your invoice via email. With Invoice Home it’s an easy 3-step process!
1. Select the document you would like to send.
2. Click the “Email” tab.
3. Fill out the form accordingly, and press send!
When you’re filling out the body of the email, make sure to keep things short and to the point. Don’t worry, it’s not rude. It’s professional. Something like “Please find Invoice #101 attached. Please respond with confirmation that you have received this message. Thank you!”
If they haven’t responded within 48 hours, follow up and ask for confirmation that they have received your invoice. This is a small but helpful indicator that your message wasn’t lost or ignored, and will help you get paid on time.
That’s it! Your invoice is sent and you’re on your way to getting paid. If you want more tips on how to prevent late payments on invoices, click here.
- 7 Ways to Prevent Work-From-Home Burnout
- How to Get a Customer to Pay Your Invoice
- New Year’s Resolutions for Small Business Owners
- Holiday Gifts for Small Business Owners
- Why You Should Use an Invoice Template Software
- Managing & Engaging Your Remote Employees
- How to Deal With Difficult Customers
- How to Send an Invoice
- 4 Simple Steps to Start Freelancing
- You’re Setting the Wrong Goals for Your Business
- How to Get Over Your Phone Anxiety
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business
- 4 Steps to Take When Taking on a New Client
- Introducing Cash Receipt Templates!
- How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
- 9 Invoicing Documents, and When You Should Use Them
- Common Mistakes Freelancers Make
- How to Network Without Leaving Your Home
- 6 Signs That You Might be Ready for a Side Hustle
- 8 Financial Blogs Small Business Owners Need to Read
- How to Prevent Late Payments on Invoices
- Top 10 Countries by Startup Ecosystem
- 5 Reasons To Use Paperless Invoices
- How to Avoid a Toxic Workplace
- Why You Should Upgrade to Unlimited Invoicing
- Tech and Economy: How Tel Aviv became the Start-up City
- The Importance of Customer Service
- What is an Invoice?
- 5 Plants to Minimize Toxins & Maximize Productivity
- M-Commerce in Developing Countries
- Customize Your Invoice
- 9 Ways to Vacation Stress-Free
- How to Get Your Laptop Spring-Ready
- The Truth About Failure
- 5 Women You Should Know About
- The Most Expensive Super Bowl Ads of All Time
- Top 10 Cities for Female Entrepreneurs
- Jobs That Didn't Exist 20 Years Ago
- Gifts for the Entrepreneur in Your Life
- How to Secure Your Small Business
- Unique Ways to Thank Your Customers
- Best Cities to Live in With a Salary of $50,000
- How Your Business Can Profit From Halloween
- How to Separate Yourself from Your Business
- How to Manage Your Mental Health as a Business Owner
- Books to Read Before Starting a Business
- 5 Ways to Get Loyal Customers
- Why You Should Take a Staycation
- Businesses You Can Start While Working Full Time
- Should Freelancers Ever Work for Free?
- How to Stay Active at the Office
- Best Business Ideas for People Who Love to Travel
- How to Perfect Your Elevator Pitch
- The Best Places in the World to Work Online From
- 5 Businesses You Can Start for Free
- How to Organize Your Desk for Maximum Productivity
- How Your Business Can Profit off the World Cup
- What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Business
- How to Become a Wedding Planner
- Why Veterans Make Perfect Entrepreneurs
- Why Every Day Should Be "Take Your Dog to Work Day"
- How to Enjoy Your Summer
- 3 tips For First-Time Freelancers
- 3 Tips for a Stress-Free Vacation
- Spring Cleaning in The Office
- 5 Tips When Starting Your Business
- New to Invoicing
- 3 Tips on Last Minute Tax Filing
- Characteristics of a Successful Business Owner
- Accomplishing Your 2018 Goals
- How to Set and Achieve Your New Year's Goals
- Tips For Boosting Your Productivity
- Motivational Quotes to Get You Through Any Day
- New Flags on The Template Gallery!
- Be Featured on Our Site!
- How to Create Your First Invoice
- A Helping Hand on the Road to Success
- How Wine and Invoicing Go Together
- How to Use 'My Reports' as Statements
- 1st Day of Summer
- A Faster Way to Organize and View Your Documents
- 3 Ways to Wrap Up Your Month
- 5 Activities You Have Time for While Using Invoice Home
- Creating a Partial Payment
- What Invoices and Technology have in Common
- Get an Invoice that Suits You
- Need more details in your Invoice? No problem! Use the Advanced Form.
- Ready to bill your client? Awesome! Time to convert your Estimate into an Invoice.
- Stay organized! Bookmark customers, unpaid.. Here’s how!
- Need Two Taxes on One Item or a Compound Tax?
- Providing discounts? Effortless work-flow here!
- 500 Free Business Logos for You!
- Introducing 300 awesome Invoice Templates - Make your Business Shine!
- Invoice faster, write less. Copy items like this!
- Faster invoicing? Use the ‘Copy’ button. Here’s How.
- Don't mess with passwords anymore!
- Invoice paid in cash? Set it as “Paid” manually.
- Invoice customers faster with the ‘Email’ feature!
- Self-Organized Invoicing is Here!
- See why the New Invoice Home got a 5 Star Rating!
- 100 Professional Invoice Templates to promote your Brand
- Taxable and Non-Taxable Items on One Invoice? Here’s How!
- Get paid faster with Payment Links! Here’s how.