How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
Published September 08, 2020
The beauty of starting a small business is that anyone can do it. In the United States alone, there are 30.7 million small businesses, making up 99.9% of the businesses in the country! But with such a large number of small businesses, it’s hard to make yours stand out. The best way to stand out is by positioning yourself and your business as a more professional and well-established venture.
How do you do that? Here are five tips we’ve put together for you:
1. Get a logo (and use it everywhere)
Most of us are better at identifying corporate logos than we are at naming local wildlife. But without a logo, customers and potential customers won’t have a visual image to remember your business by. So get a logo, and slap it on everything! Attach it to your invoice documents, put it on your coffee mugs, even tattoo it on your forehead if you have to.
If you want to try your hand at logo creation, but don’t have the graphic design skills to manage Adobe programs, try Canva to start. They have loads of logo templates for your inspiration, and the easy-to-navigate platform will be more than enough for most small business needs.
Maybe you’re interested in hiring a graphic designer, but you’re not sure where to look. Sites like Fiverr and Upwork are awesome for getting in touch with freelance graphic designers from around the world. There’s bound to be a designer that fits your needs and budget. Get the logo your company deserves!
2. Maintain a social media presence
Social media has become a necessity for all businesses to have in today’s age. According to Coschedule, 72% of customers are more likely to purchase from a business they follow on social media. But with so many social media platforms, how are you supposed to juggle all of them while still maintaining your business?
Our recommendation: find what fits your business best. Facebook is still king when it comes to businesses on social media for the time being, but after that, choose one or two other channels that you feel best fit your business. Want to show off your products visually? Use a visual platform like Instagram. Does your business need to relay real-time information? Twitter can’t be beat for posting up-to-the-minute updates. The answer depends on your business’s needs.
3. Create a simple website
Despite the persistent movement to a more online world, only about 60 percent of small businesses have a website. That means 40 percent of small businesses are leaving potential customers on the table for their competitors to snatch up! A simple website is easier (and cheaper) to build than ever, and there are plenty of tools out there to help you create an attractive website that gets you customers without breaking the bank.
You don’t need to invent the next Facebook. Even a one or two page website showing your business’s products and prices is enough. What’s most important is that your customers can visit your website and (more importantly) that your website shows up in their internet search results. Don’t forget to include a contact link so that customers are able to get in touch with you.
4. Use a custom email domain
What email address looks more professional: “firstname.lastname@example.org” or “email@example.com”? Obviously, the latter.
Using a custom email domain may seem like a small tweak to make, but can give your small business the professional feel of a company ten times bigger. That bit of extra professionalism can carry a lot of weight with customers! It will also make your email address easier for customers to remember, and will stand out when an email from you hits their inbox.
Always wanted to get a custom email domain but not sure how? Here are 5 ways you can set one up today (for free)!
5. Make your invoices stand out
Whenever your clients receive a document from you, they should immediately know who it’s from without having to read it. Make your invoices, receipts, and quotes stand out with hundreds of templates from Invoice Home! Customize them with your logo and signature, send them to your customers, and let your customers pay you easily with payment links!
Having a professional-looking small business is key for standing out among all the competition. Follow these tips so customers know that you’re a business they can trust!
Thanks for using Invoice Home!
- What Is An Invoice? The 4 Most Important Elements.
- HOW TO: A Guide to Invoice Home - Features & Functions
- HOW TO: Create Your First Invoice with Invoice Home
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 1 - Steps to Set-up
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 2 - Seeing Sent Invoices
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 3 - Editing and Making Changes
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 4 - Stopping
- HOW TO: Get Paid in a Flash With Payment Links!
- HOW TO: Add More Details to an Invoice by Using the Advanced Form
- HOW TO: Apply a Discount to an Invoice
- HOW TO: Archive Items with Invoice Home
- HOW TO: Send an Invoice
- HOW TO: Use "My Customers" as an Address Book
- HOW TO: Create a Partial Payment
- HOW TO: Create and Download Cash Receipts
- HOW TO: Convert your Estimate into an Invoice
- HOW TO: Use 'My Reports' as Statements
- HOW TO: Add Two Taxes or a Compounded Tax to an Invoice
- HOW TO: Add Taxable and Non-Taxable Items on One Invoice
- HOW TO: Self-Organized Invoicing is Here!
- HOW TO: Copy Invoice Items Quickly!
- HOW TO: Manually Mark Invoices as Paid
- HOW TO: Invoice Customers Faster With the Email Feature!
- HOW TO: Customize Your Invoice
- HOW TO: Copy an Invoice to Create a New One
- 300 Stunning Invoice Templates for a Polished, Professional Look!
- 3 Tips For Enjoying Summer, Even When You Have to Work!
- 7 Ways to Prevent Work-From-Home Burnout
- How to Get a Customer to Pay Your Invoice
- New Year’s Resolutions for Small Business Owners
- Holiday Gifts for Small Business Owners
- Why You Should Use an Invoice Template Software
- Managing & Engaging Your Remote Employees
- How to Deal With Difficult Customers
- 4 Simple Steps to Start Freelancing
- How Your Business Can Profit From Halloween
- You’re Setting the Wrong Goals for Your Business
- How to Get Over Your Phone Anxiety
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business
- 4 Steps to Take When Taking on a New Client
- How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
- 9 Invoicing Documents, and When You Should Use Them
- Common Mistakes Freelancers Make
- How to Network Without Leaving Your Home
- 6 Signs That You Might be Ready for a Side Hustle
- 8 Financial Blogs Small Business Owners Need to Read
- How to Prevent Late Payments on Invoices
- Top 10 Countries by Startup Ecosystem
- 5 Reasons To Use Paperless Invoices
- How to Avoid a Toxic Workplace
- Why You Should Upgrade to Unlimited Invoicing
- Tech and Economy: How Tel Aviv became the Start-up City
- The Importance of Customer Service
- 5 Plants to Minimize Toxins & Maximize Productivity
- M-Commerce in Developing Countries
- 9 Ways to Vacation Stress-Free
- How to Get Your Laptop Spring-Ready
- The Truth About Failure
- 5 Women You Should Know About
- The Most Expensive Super Bowl Ads of All Time
- Top 10 Cities for Female Entrepreneurs
- Jobs That Didn't Exist 20 Years Ago
- Gifts for the Entrepreneur in Your Life
- How to Secure Your Small Business
- Unique Ways to Thank Your Customers
- Best Cities to Live in With a Salary of $50,000
- How to Separate Yourself from Your Business
- How to Manage Your Mental Health as a Business Owner
- Books to Read Before Starting a Business
- 5 Ways to Get Loyal Customers
- Why You Should Take a Staycation
- Businesses You Can Start While Working Full Time
- Should Freelancers Ever Work for Free?
- How to Stay Active at the Office
- Best Business Ideas for People Who Love to Travel
- How to Perfect Your Elevator Pitch
- The Best Places in the World to Work Online From
- 5 Businesses You Can Start for Free
- How to Organize Your Desk for Maximum Productivity
- How Your Business Can Profit off the World Cup
- What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Business
- How to Become a Wedding Planner
- Why Veterans Make Perfect Entrepreneurs
- Why Every Day Should Be "Take Your Dog to Work Day"
- 3 tips For First-Time Freelancers
- 3 Tips for a Stress-Free Vacation
- Spring Cleaning in The Office
- 5 Tips When Starting Your Business
- New to Invoicing
- 3 Tips on Last Minute Tax Filing
- Characteristics of a Successful Business Owner
- Accomplishing Your 2018 Goals
- How to Set and Achieve Your New Year's Goals
- Tips For Boosting Your Productivity
- Motivational Quotes to Get You Through Any Day
- New Flags on The Template Gallery!
- Be Featured on Our Site!
- A Helping Hand on the Road to Success
- How Wine and Invoicing Go Together
- 1st Day of Summer
- A Faster Way to Organize and View Your Documents
- 3 Ways to Wrap Up Your Month
- 5 Activities You Have Time for While Using Invoice Home
- What Invoices and Technology have in Common
- Get an Invoice that Suits You
- Stay organized! Bookmark customers, unpaid.. Here’s how!
- 500 Free Business Logos for You!
- Don't mess with passwords anymore!
- See why the New Invoice Home got a 5 Star Rating!
- 100 Professional Invoice Templates to promote your Brand