Published January 12, 2021
The start of the new year is a good opportunity for small business owners to reflect on their business’s success, decide what works, and find things to improve upon. We’ve put together 5 new year’s resolutions that every small business owner can benefit from this new year.
1. Promote Your Business in New Ways
This new year, dedicate more time and effort into promoting your business. This could be in any number of ways. For example, you could dedicate 30 minutes every day to learning more about a certain channel (such as PPC ads, or any other channel). Also consider investing more time and effort into content marketing, and write one blog post every one or two weeks. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to get started in content marketing.
There are many ways to promote your business. For this new year, take the time to focus on one or two ways you might not have explored yet, and watch your business grow before your eyes.
2. Become a Better Communicator
Consistent communication with employees is one of the essential keys to successful offices, but it’s also one of the hardest parts to get right. Communicating consistently helps ensure that each employee is in the loop in regards to current and future goals, as well as what has already been accomplished.
We recommend testing and learning which method of communication works best for your team, and adapting to their preferences. Additionally, check out these tips on engaging remote employees.
3. Improve Your Work-Life Balance
How should you organize your day? There’s no one-size-fits-all approach to creating a strong work-life balance. You have to find what works for you, and stay committed to it. If you’re a morning person, start working earlier so you can finish earlier. If you’re a person who’s more productive in the later hours, set aside some time in the evenings to work. Reward your hard work with scheduled breaks throughout the day to stay motivated. Work-life balance is crucial, so set a relatively strict schedule of working (and non-working) hours.
4. Get Better at Networking
As working from home is becoming more common, networking is becoming more difficult. There simply aren’t as many opportunities to shake hands and connect with other people in a “real world” setting. But that doesn’t mean that networking is less important. If anything, the lack of in-person interactions makes the moments where we do connect with others even more essential. With fewer chances to make impressions, it’s vital to have the impressions that you do make stand out.
Luckily, online networking has continued to evolve. There are plenty of platforms to connect with others on a professional level. So if you can’t attend networking events in person this year, join some Twitter Chats and find some virtual events to help grow your professional network.
Check out our previous post on how to network from home!
5. Learn to Say “No”
Saying “no” feels counterintuitive for lots of small business owners. You might wonder, “How will I make money without taking on every job possible?” But spreading yourself too thin often lowers the quality of your work, leaves clients frustrated, and hurts your mental health.
Additionally, learn to say “no” to yourself when something isn’t working. Continuing to force products that don’t sell well, or staying with the same marketing or sales strategies that don’t work is detrimental to your business and wastes your time. This year, learn to say “no” and move on from things that aren’t working, and don’t be afraid to try something new.
A new year is an exciting time to start fresh and grow towards new goals for your business. To learn more about setting goals for your small business, check out this post.
- HOW TO: Add Two Taxes or a Compounded Tax to an Invoice
- HOW TO: Manually Mark Invoices as Paid
- HOW TO: Copy Invoice Items Quickly!
- HOW TO: Add Taxable and Non-Taxable Items on One Invoice
- HOW TO: Self-Organized Invoicing is Here!
- HOW TO: Get Paid in a Flash With Payment Links!
- HOW TO: Invoice Customers Faster With the Email Feature!
- HOW TO: Copy an Invoice to Create a New One
- 300 Stunning Invoice Templates for a Polished, Professional Look!
- 3 Tips For Enjoying Summer, Even When You Have to Work!
- 7 Ways to Prevent Work-From-Home Burnout
- How to Get a Customer to Pay Your Invoice
- New Year’s Resolutions for Small Business Owners
- Holiday Gifts for Small Business Owners
- Why You Should Use an Invoice Template Software
- Managing & Engaging Your Remote Employees
- How to Deal With Difficult Customers
- How to Send an Invoice
- 4 Simple Steps to Start Freelancing
- How Your Business Can Profit From Halloween
- You’re Setting the Wrong Goals for Your Business
- How to Get Over Your Phone Anxiety
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business
- 4 Steps to Take When Taking on a New Client
- Introducing Cash Receipt Templates!
- How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
- 9 Invoicing Documents, and When You Should Use Them
- Common Mistakes Freelancers Make
- How to Network Without Leaving Your Home
- 6 Signs That You Might be Ready for a Side Hustle
- 8 Financial Blogs Small Business Owners Need to Read
- How to Prevent Late Payments on Invoices
- Top 10 Countries by Startup Ecosystem
- 5 Reasons To Use Paperless Invoices
- How to Avoid a Toxic Workplace
- Why You Should Upgrade to Unlimited Invoicing
- Tech and Economy: How Tel Aviv became the Start-up City
- The Importance of Customer Service
- What is an Invoice?
- 5 Plants to Minimize Toxins & Maximize Productivity
- M-Commerce in Developing Countries
- Customize Your Invoice
- 9 Ways to Vacation Stress-Free
- How to Get Your Laptop Spring-Ready
- The Truth About Failure
- 5 Women You Should Know About
- The Most Expensive Super Bowl Ads of All Time
- Top 10 Cities for Female Entrepreneurs
- Jobs That Didn't Exist 20 Years Ago
- Gifts for the Entrepreneur in Your Life
- How to Secure Your Small Business
- Unique Ways to Thank Your Customers
- Best Cities to Live in With a Salary of $50,000
- How to Separate Yourself from Your Business
- How to Manage Your Mental Health as a Business Owner
- Books to Read Before Starting a Business
- 5 Ways to Get Loyal Customers
- Why You Should Take a Staycation
- Businesses You Can Start While Working Full Time
- Should Freelancers Ever Work for Free?
- How to Stay Active at the Office
- Best Business Ideas for People Who Love to Travel
- How to Perfect Your Elevator Pitch
- The Best Places in the World to Work Online From
- 5 Businesses You Can Start for Free
- How to Organize Your Desk for Maximum Productivity
- How Your Business Can Profit off the World Cup
- What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Business
- How to Become a Wedding Planner
- Why Veterans Make Perfect Entrepreneurs
- Why Every Day Should Be "Take Your Dog to Work Day"
- 3 tips For First-Time Freelancers
- 3 Tips for a Stress-Free Vacation
- Spring Cleaning in The Office
- 5 Tips When Starting Your Business
- New to Invoicing
- 3 Tips on Last Minute Tax Filing
- Characteristics of a Successful Business Owner
- Accomplishing Your 2018 Goals
- How to Set and Achieve Your New Year's Goals
- Tips For Boosting Your Productivity
- Motivational Quotes to Get You Through Any Day
- New Flags on The Template Gallery!
- Be Featured on Our Site!
- How to Create Your First Invoice
- A Helping Hand on the Road to Success
- How Wine and Invoicing Go Together
- How to Use 'My Reports' as Statements
- 1st Day of Summer
- A Faster Way to Organize and View Your Documents
- 3 Ways to Wrap Up Your Month
- 5 Activities You Have Time for While Using Invoice Home
- Creating a Partial Payment
- What Invoices and Technology have in Common
- Get an Invoice that Suits You
- Need more details in your Invoice? No problem! Use the Advanced Form.
- Ready to bill your client? Awesome! Time to convert your Estimate into an Invoice.
- Stay organized! Bookmark customers, unpaid.. Here’s how!
- Providing discounts? Effortless work-flow here!
- 500 Free Business Logos for You!
- Don't mess with passwords anymore!
- See why the New Invoice Home got a 5 Star Rating!
- 100 Professional Invoice Templates to promote your Brand