Published April 23, 2018
© cherryandbees /Adobe Stock
It is without a doubt that turning a business idea into reality is at first very daunting but nonetheless still exciting. The initial stages happen faster than expected and almost everything is crucial to your success. But don’t let this scare you, we are here to give you a few suggestions to help put your mind at ease.
1. Know Your Market
It’s easy to say that you want to target everyone because you feel your product/service is and can be used by everyone. However, if that group is too broad, then you will end up spending money in areas that will not be beneficial to your company, alternately, hurting you financially. Therefore, it will be more efficient to focus on a specific group of people. For example, as a wedding photographer, your customer base would, of course, be, couples; for engagement and wedding photos. You will be surprised to find how a small group of people turn out to be very profitable for your company and help build up your revenue. Once you aim for a certain demographic, you will make better marketing decisions knowing that the customers you are targeting are in need of your product or service.
2. Focus on Your Service
The service you are providing should always be your priority. Don’t lose sight of why you started your business in the first place. Many companies tend to get lost in the glitz and glamor of web design, graphics, and keeping up with trends. While all this is key to your branding, if you focus too much on this, you may forget about providing great service, which can soon be a downfall. How do you stay focused then? A rule of thumb is that before making any marketing decision, always ask yourself - “But does this have anything to do with our service/product?”
3. Do Your Homework
We are not all experts in every aspect of starting a business, so it can truly be overwhelming when getting started. So just like learning anything new, you need to do your homework. That means seeking out resources and educating yourself on the necessary topics. The internet has made this process so much easier and more efficient in recent years. (sorry libraries!) So take advantage of services such as Fit Small Business, who do just that. They focus on helping small businesses and offer reliable information on everything from HR to marketing. They also write honest reviews on businesses and their services/products.
4. Use Social Media
Social media is not just for millennials, it is now a channel that is used by all successful companies- remember that! Social media is also a great resource for staying up to date with current trends. It gives you direct access to your followers and the hashtags that get your profile noticed, as well as the posts that get the most likes and comments. This is a great way to connect with your customers in a more relaxed setting, while also helping you build a strong relationship with them. Platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, youtube, and Pinterest- to name a few, are powerful resources for learning about what kind of customers and areas in the country (or world), have a demand for your product. The marketing possibilities are endless through the use of social media. Don’t forget that you can also connect with other companies/influencers, willing to work with you and promote your product or brand. So if you’re thinking about putting Social media on the back burner, we suggest you think twice.
5. Stay Organized
We cannot stress this enough! Make it a habit to be organized with your legal/financial documents and marketing campaigns. Yes, tax season has ended and we are all pretty much fed up with hearing about it but it is still a very big part of running a business, even if it only comes once a year. If you are not prepared or are missing required documents, tax season can be brutal and stressful. Keep your finances in order by organizing your expenses and profits. Keep track of your documents and know where to find them, read up on updated policies and make sure you are abiding by them. If this does not motivate you enough, remember that taxes were what brought down Al Capone.
- 3 Tips For Enjoying Summer, Even When You Have to Work!
- 7 Ways to Prevent Work-From-Home Burnout
- How to Get a Customer to Pay Your Invoice
- New Year’s Resolutions for Small Business Owners
- Holiday Gifts for Small Business Owners
- Why You Should Use an Invoice Template Software
- Managing & Engaging Your Remote Employees
- How to Deal With Difficult Customers
- How to Send an Invoice
- 4 Simple Steps to Start Freelancing
- You’re Setting the Wrong Goals for Your Business
- How to Get Over Your Phone Anxiety
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business
- 4 Steps to Take When Taking on a New Client
- Introducing Cash Receipt Templates!
- How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
- 9 Invoicing Documents, and When You Should Use Them
- Common Mistakes Freelancers Make
- How to Network Without Leaving Your Home
- 6 Signs That You Might be Ready for a Side Hustle
- 8 Financial Blogs Small Business Owners Need to Read
- How to Prevent Late Payments on Invoices
- Top 10 Countries by Startup Ecosystem
- 5 Reasons To Use Paperless Invoices
- How to Avoid a Toxic Workplace
- Why You Should Upgrade to Unlimited Invoicing
- Tech and Economy: How Tel Aviv became the Start-up City
- The Importance of Customer Service
- What is an Invoice?
- 5 Plants to Minimize Toxins & Maximize Productivity
- M-Commerce in Developing Countries
- Customize Your Invoice
- 9 Ways to Vacation Stress-Free
- How to Get Your Laptop Spring-Ready
- The Truth About Failure
- 5 Women You Should Know About
- The Most Expensive Super Bowl Ads of All Time
- Top 10 Cities for Female Entrepreneurs
- Jobs That Didn't Exist 20 Years Ago
- Gifts for the Entrepreneur in Your Life
- How to Secure Your Small Business
- Unique Ways to Thank Your Customers
- Best Cities to Live in With a Salary of $50,000
- How Your Business Can Profit From Halloween
- How to Separate Yourself from Your Business
- How to Manage Your Mental Health as a Business Owner
- Books to Read Before Starting a Business
- 5 Ways to Get Loyal Customers
- Why You Should Take a Staycation
- Businesses You Can Start While Working Full Time
- Should Freelancers Ever Work for Free?
- How to Stay Active at the Office
- Best Business Ideas for People Who Love to Travel
- How to Perfect Your Elevator Pitch
- The Best Places in the World to Work Online From
- 5 Businesses You Can Start for Free
- How to Organize Your Desk for Maximum Productivity
- How Your Business Can Profit off the World Cup
- What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Business
- How to Become a Wedding Planner
- Why Veterans Make Perfect Entrepreneurs
- Why Every Day Should Be "Take Your Dog to Work Day"
- 3 tips For First-Time Freelancers
- 3 Tips for a Stress-Free Vacation
- Spring Cleaning in The Office
- 5 Tips When Starting Your Business
- New to Invoicing
- 3 Tips on Last Minute Tax Filing
- Characteristics of a Successful Business Owner
- Accomplishing Your 2018 Goals
- How to Set and Achieve Your New Year's Goals
- Tips For Boosting Your Productivity
- Motivational Quotes to Get You Through Any Day
- New Flags on The Template Gallery!
- Be Featured on Our Site!
- How to Create Your First Invoice
- A Helping Hand on the Road to Success
- How Wine and Invoicing Go Together
- How to Use 'My Reports' as Statements
- 1st Day of Summer
- A Faster Way to Organize and View Your Documents
- 3 Ways to Wrap Up Your Month
- 5 Activities You Have Time for While Using Invoice Home
- Creating a Partial Payment
- What Invoices and Technology have in Common
- Get an Invoice that Suits You
- Need more details in your Invoice? No problem! Use the Advanced Form.
- Ready to bill your client? Awesome! Time to convert your Estimate into an Invoice.
- Stay organized! Bookmark customers, unpaid.. Here’s how!
- Need Two Taxes on One Item or a Compound Tax?
- Providing discounts? Effortless work-flow here!
- 500 Free Business Logos for You!
- Introducing 300 awesome Invoice Templates - Make your Business Shine!
- Invoice faster, write less. Copy items like this!
- Faster invoicing? Use the ‘Copy’ button. Here’s How.
- Don't mess with passwords anymore!
- Invoice paid in cash? Set it as “Paid” manually.
- Invoice customers faster with the ‘Email’ feature!
- Self-Organized Invoicing is Here!
- See why the New Invoice Home got a 5 Star Rating!
- 100 Professional Invoice Templates to promote your Brand
- Taxable and Non-Taxable Items on One Invoice? Here’s How!
- Get paid faster with Payment Links! Here’s how.