Published July 11, 2018
©pixfly /Adobe Stock
On November 8th 2016 I visited a local bakery for my daily bagel and ridiculously oversized coffee after my trip to the polling station. My eyes were drawn to a sea of red and blue in the display case where there were donkey and elephant shaped sugar cookies along with the sign: “who will win?”. Turns out the bakery was more accurate than the polls as the number of democratic cookies outnumbered republican 3:1. But that didn’t stop me from buying a dozen and leaving without my lox and schmear. And I don’t even like sugar cookies…
This case is the perfect example of how businesses can make an easy profit off major events. There’s no event more talked about or loved, well, globally, than the World Cup and as it comes to a climax, now is the perfect time to cash in on the craze. Here are four easy ways for your small business to make money and get in the game during the World Cup (and other events):
Get the Ball Rolling with Special Deals/Promotions
You don’t have to be a dealer in sports memorabilia to score off of the big game. Hairdresser? You can offer to die new clients’ hair team colors for free. Tattoo artist? You can offer pre-made team designs to ink at a fraction of the cost. Having limited promotions such as these will help you take potential clients off the sidelines and into your business. Scared to offer discounts? Luckily, the World Cup only lasts for a month and your new customers will last a lifetime. Make a goal of how many new customers you wish to acquire and work overtime until your goal is met.
Don't Just Watch From the Sidelines
The whole message of the world cup is about community: countries from all over the world meet, celebrate and try to find the solution for world peace (okay, maybe not that last one). Same goes for the fans of the football field, who would rather watch the match live or in a rowdy pub than their living rooms. If your business has four walls and a television, invite customers to view the game in your establishment (and maybe buy a thing or two). If you operate out of your home, car, garage or local library, then why not attend an event yourself? If you’re surrounded by extreme fans you can sneakily incorporate your logo into some body paint or you can slide tackle your business card into new friends’ pockets. No one will issue you a penalty and you’re bound to score some new clients this way.
Be on the Ball with Themed Products
Have you ever bought an item only because it had your favorite TV character, saying or embarrassing meme on it? The same goes (maybe even more strongly) for sports fans- and during the World Cup everyone suddenly becomes a fanatic FIFA fan. But before you go plastering Messi’s face on all of your products, know that this can be a simple as selling items that correspond with a team’s flag colors. Caterer cheering for team Colombia? Why not sell a fruit salad with bananas, strawberries and blueberries? Florist fangirling over France? You can easily put together bouquets of red, white and blue carnations. Simply adjusting the colors of your products in time for the World Cup can be a major game changer for your business.
Develop a Game Plan with Your Social Media
Did I mention that the World Cup attracts people from all over the world? The 2014 World Cup amassed over 672 million tweets, breaking social media records. And there’s no reason you and your business team shouldn’t join the fun! Score a hat-trick by posting on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter using World Cup related tags- even if it’s just to congratulate Costa Rica or rebuke referees. You’ll gain more exposure and your business won’t get shutout by the constant (literal) goal posts.
World Cup got you feeling patriotic but you don’t even know the difference between American and European football? Show the love for your country with our flag themed invoice templates! We have dozens of flag templates from Australia to Wales so no matter what, your business is always a winner.
- What Is An Invoice? The 4 Most Important Elements.
- HOW TO: A Guide to Invoice Home - Features & Functions
- HOW TO: Create Your First Invoice with Invoice Home
- HOW TO: Archive Items with Invoice Home
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 1 - Steps to Set-up
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 2 - Seeing Sent Invoices
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 3 - Editing and Making Changes
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 4 - Stopping
- How To: Add a Partial Payment with Invoice Home!
- HOW TO: Add Two Taxes or a Compounded Tax to an Invoice
- HOW TO: Add Taxable and Non-Taxable Items on One Invoice
- HOW TO: Copy Invoice Items Quickly!
- HOW TO: Self-Organized Invoicing is Here!
- HOW TO: Manually Mark Invoices as Paid
- HOW TO: Invoice Customers Faster With the Email Feature!
- HOW TO: Get Paid in a Flash With Payment Links!
- HOW TO: Copy an Invoice to Create a New One
- 300 Stunning Invoice Templates for a Polished, Professional Look!
- 3 Tips For Enjoying Summer, Even When You Have to Work!
- 7 Ways to Prevent Work-From-Home Burnout
- How to Get a Customer to Pay Your Invoice
- New Year’s Resolutions for Small Business Owners
- Holiday Gifts for Small Business Owners
- Why You Should Use an Invoice Template Software
- Managing & Engaging Your Remote Employees
- How to Deal With Difficult Customers
- HOW TO: Send an Invoice
- 4 Simple Steps to Start Freelancing
- How Your Business Can Profit From Halloween
- You’re Setting the Wrong Goals for Your Business
- How to Get Over Your Phone Anxiety
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business
- 4 Steps to Take When Taking on a New Client
- Introducing Cash Receipt Templates!
- How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
- 9 Invoicing Documents, and When You Should Use Them
- Common Mistakes Freelancers Make
- How to Network Without Leaving Your Home
- 6 Signs That You Might be Ready for a Side Hustle
- 8 Financial Blogs Small Business Owners Need to Read
- How to Prevent Late Payments on Invoices
- Top 10 Countries by Startup Ecosystem
- 5 Reasons To Use Paperless Invoices
- How to Avoid a Toxic Workplace
- Why You Should Upgrade to Unlimited Invoicing
- Tech and Economy: How Tel Aviv became the Start-up City
- The Importance of Customer Service
- 5 Plants to Minimize Toxins & Maximize Productivity
- M-Commerce in Developing Countries
- Customize Your Invoice
- 9 Ways to Vacation Stress-Free
- How to Get Your Laptop Spring-Ready
- The Truth About Failure
- 5 Women You Should Know About
- The Most Expensive Super Bowl Ads of All Time
- Top 10 Cities for Female Entrepreneurs
- Jobs That Didn't Exist 20 Years Ago
- Gifts for the Entrepreneur in Your Life
- How to Secure Your Small Business
- Unique Ways to Thank Your Customers
- Best Cities to Live in With a Salary of $50,000
- How to Separate Yourself from Your Business
- How to Manage Your Mental Health as a Business Owner
- Books to Read Before Starting a Business
- 5 Ways to Get Loyal Customers
- Why You Should Take a Staycation
- Businesses You Can Start While Working Full Time
- Should Freelancers Ever Work for Free?
- How to Stay Active at the Office
- Best Business Ideas for People Who Love to Travel
- How to Perfect Your Elevator Pitch
- The Best Places in the World to Work Online From
- 5 Businesses You Can Start for Free
- How to Organize Your Desk for Maximum Productivity
- How Your Business Can Profit off the World Cup
- What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Business
- How to Become a Wedding Planner
- Why Veterans Make Perfect Entrepreneurs
- Why Every Day Should Be "Take Your Dog to Work Day"
- 3 tips For First-Time Freelancers
- 3 Tips for a Stress-Free Vacation
- Spring Cleaning in The Office
- 5 Tips When Starting Your Business
- New to Invoicing
- 3 Tips on Last Minute Tax Filing
- Characteristics of a Successful Business Owner
- Accomplishing Your 2018 Goals
- How to Set and Achieve Your New Year's Goals
- Tips For Boosting Your Productivity
- Motivational Quotes to Get You Through Any Day
- New Flags on The Template Gallery!
- Be Featured on Our Site!
- A Helping Hand on the Road to Success
- How Wine and Invoicing Go Together
- How to Use 'My Reports' as Statements
- 1st Day of Summer
- A Faster Way to Organize and View Your Documents
- 3 Ways to Wrap Up Your Month
- 5 Activities You Have Time for While Using Invoice Home
- What Invoices and Technology have in Common
- Get an Invoice that Suits You
- Need more details in your Invoice? No problem! Use the Advanced Form.
- Ready to bill your client? Awesome! Time to convert your Estimate into an Invoice.
- Stay organized! Bookmark customers, unpaid.. Here’s how!
- Providing discounts? Effortless work-flow here!
- 500 Free Business Logos for You!
- Don't mess with passwords anymore!
- See why the New Invoice Home got a 5 Star Rating!
- 100 Professional Invoice Templates to promote your Brand