Published August 18, 2020
As we venture further into the work-from-home era, networking is becoming more difficult. There are fewer opportunities to shake hands and connect with other people out in the “real world”. But that doesn’t mean that networking is suddenly less important. If anything, the lack of face-to-face interactions has made connecting with others even more essential. With fewer chances to make impressions, it’s vital to have the impressions that you do make stand out.
Luckily, the world of online networking has continued to evolve. There are many platforms to connect with others, both personally and professionally. But it’s hard to know which methods will actually be effective, and which will leave you lost in the shuffle. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of some of the best methods for networking from home!
1. Join Twitter Chats
If you don’t know what a “Twitter Chat” is, it probably sounds like what your grandma would call a Facebook message. But they can actually be great tools for networking from home!
A Twitter chat is an organized event on Twitter revolving around a particular subject. Users who are participating follow the conversation with that Chat’s specific hashtag, and can add to the conversation by tweeting with that same hashtag. These Chats can be about anything from niche personal interests to professional business topics. Twitter Chats may not be as popular as they were in the early days of the platform, but there’s still a large enough community to make it worth your time. Whatever topic you want to chat about, there’s bound to be a conversation happening. Check out Tweet Reports for a full list of Twitter Chats and when they’re happening, and get chatting!
2. Attend Virtual Events
Virtual events are a perfect way to network without leaving your home. Resources like MeetUp and Eventbrite are both awesome for finding virtual events, which can be anything from online chat sessions, to more “face-to-face” events over a video conference.
Both platforms (and others like them) allow you to filter through events based on what you’re looking for. MeetUp lets you pick your interests from the beginning and have events tailored to you, or just browse by whatever category of event you’re looking for that day! Eventbrite does the same, and has an easy-to-navigate “online events” section featured prominently on their site. Find some events that pique your interest, and reserve your spot!
3. Get Involved on Slack
You might know Slack as a popular workplace collaboration tool for company employees. But it can be so much more than that!
Slack is full of professional communities with thousands of members who are also looking to expand their network and connect with others. Many of these groups are open to join without any invitation, so you can pop into one and see if it’s right for you. You can find a database of Slack communities at Slofile. These groups can be broad or narrow in scope, so look around and find one that suits you!
4. Discover Facebook Groups
This isn’t exactly new information. Facebook groups can be the most direct way to connect with people who share mutual interests. Just open your Facebook home page and navigate to the “groups” section, and most of the work is done! You can browse groups by the “discover” page and find groups your friends are active in, or narrow it down by category. If you’re looking for something specific, you can also search for it by name or topic. Facebook groups are the easiest way to actively participate in conversations and find new people, so join a new group and get connected!
These are just a few resources available to you to help you grow your professional circle, or just connect with other like-minded people. But even if the networking is digital, the same rules apply. You’ll only see results if you put in the effort to get in contact with others! Follow these tips, and you’ll be well on your way to growing your professional network.
- What Is An Invoice? The 4 Most Important Elements.
- HOW TO: A Guide to Invoice Home - Features & Functions
- HOW TO: Create Your First Invoice with Invoice Home
- HOW TO: Archive Items with Invoice Home
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 1 - Steps to Set-up
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 2 - Seeing Sent Invoices
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 3 - Editing and Making Changes
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 4 - Stopping
- How To: Add a Partial Payment with Invoice Home!
- HOW TO: Add Two Taxes or a Compounded Tax to an Invoice
- HOW TO: Add Taxable and Non-Taxable Items on One Invoice
- HOW TO: Copy Invoice Items Quickly!
- HOW TO: Self-Organized Invoicing is Here!
- HOW TO: Manually Mark Invoices as Paid
- HOW TO: Invoice Customers Faster With the Email Feature!
- HOW TO: Get Paid in a Flash With Payment Links!
- HOW TO: Copy an Invoice to Create a New One
- 300 Stunning Invoice Templates for a Polished, Professional Look!
- 3 Tips For Enjoying Summer, Even When You Have to Work!
- 7 Ways to Prevent Work-From-Home Burnout
- How to Get a Customer to Pay Your Invoice
- New Year’s Resolutions for Small Business Owners
- Holiday Gifts for Small Business Owners
- Why You Should Use an Invoice Template Software
- Managing & Engaging Your Remote Employees
- How to Deal With Difficult Customers
- HOW TO: Send an Invoice
- 4 Simple Steps to Start Freelancing
- How Your Business Can Profit From Halloween
- You’re Setting the Wrong Goals for Your Business
- How to Get Over Your Phone Anxiety
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business
- 4 Steps to Take When Taking on a New Client
- Introducing Cash Receipt Templates!
- How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
- 9 Invoicing Documents, and When You Should Use Them
- Common Mistakes Freelancers Make
- How to Network Without Leaving Your Home
- 6 Signs That You Might be Ready for a Side Hustle
- 8 Financial Blogs Small Business Owners Need to Read
- How to Prevent Late Payments on Invoices
- Top 10 Countries by Startup Ecosystem
- 5 Reasons To Use Paperless Invoices
- How to Avoid a Toxic Workplace
- Why You Should Upgrade to Unlimited Invoicing
- Tech and Economy: How Tel Aviv became the Start-up City
- The Importance of Customer Service
- 5 Plants to Minimize Toxins & Maximize Productivity
- M-Commerce in Developing Countries
- Customize Your Invoice
- 9 Ways to Vacation Stress-Free
- How to Get Your Laptop Spring-Ready
- The Truth About Failure
- 5 Women You Should Know About
- The Most Expensive Super Bowl Ads of All Time
- Top 10 Cities for Female Entrepreneurs
- Jobs That Didn't Exist 20 Years Ago
- Gifts for the Entrepreneur in Your Life
- How to Secure Your Small Business
- Unique Ways to Thank Your Customers
- Best Cities to Live in With a Salary of $50,000
- How to Separate Yourself from Your Business
- How to Manage Your Mental Health as a Business Owner
- Books to Read Before Starting a Business
- 5 Ways to Get Loyal Customers
- Why You Should Take a Staycation
- Businesses You Can Start While Working Full Time
- Should Freelancers Ever Work for Free?
- How to Stay Active at the Office
- Best Business Ideas for People Who Love to Travel
- How to Perfect Your Elevator Pitch
- The Best Places in the World to Work Online From
- 5 Businesses You Can Start for Free
- How to Organize Your Desk for Maximum Productivity
- How Your Business Can Profit off the World Cup
- What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Business
- How to Become a Wedding Planner
- Why Veterans Make Perfect Entrepreneurs
- Why Every Day Should Be "Take Your Dog to Work Day"
- 3 tips For First-Time Freelancers
- 3 Tips for a Stress-Free Vacation
- Spring Cleaning in The Office
- 5 Tips When Starting Your Business
- New to Invoicing
- 3 Tips on Last Minute Tax Filing
- Characteristics of a Successful Business Owner
- Accomplishing Your 2018 Goals
- How to Set and Achieve Your New Year's Goals
- Tips For Boosting Your Productivity
- Motivational Quotes to Get You Through Any Day
- New Flags on The Template Gallery!
- Be Featured on Our Site!
- A Helping Hand on the Road to Success
- How Wine and Invoicing Go Together
- How to Use 'My Reports' as Statements
- 1st Day of Summer
- A Faster Way to Organize and View Your Documents
- 3 Ways to Wrap Up Your Month
- 5 Activities You Have Time for While Using Invoice Home
- What Invoices and Technology have in Common
- Get an Invoice that Suits You
- Need more details in your Invoice? No problem! Use the Advanced Form.
- Ready to bill your client? Awesome! Time to convert your Estimate into an Invoice.
- Stay organized! Bookmark customers, unpaid.. Here’s how!
- Providing discounts? Effortless work-flow here!
- 500 Free Business Logos for You!
- Don't mess with passwords anymore!
- See why the New Invoice Home got a 5 Star Rating!
- 100 Professional Invoice Templates to promote your Brand