Published October 06, 2020
Nobody looks forward to meetings or interviews, but they can be even more uncomfortable when you’re not face-to-face. In today’s world, it’s increasingly more common to substitute in-person meetings with a remote phone or video call.
If you find yourself dreading the next Zoom meeting or phone interview, follow these tips to overcome your phone anxiety:
1. Dress the Part
Let’s just get this statistic out of the way: 1 in 10 people in Zoom meetings aren’t wearing pants. (Sorry for putting that visual of your coworkers in your head.) On top of that, 75 percent of people surveyed said they wear sweatpants, pajamas, or shorts during digital meetings.
Preparing for a meeting starts with what you wear. If you were to show up to an interview in a sorority shirt and sweatpants, you probably wouldn’t feel too confident about getting the job.
Now, by no means do you need to wear a suit and tie during every call. Think of it like a casual Friday at the office. The clothes you wear have a big impact on your mentality and work habits, whether you realize it or not. So please, for your own sake, put on some pants.
2. Rehearse Your Lines
It might sound oversimplified, but practice makes perfect. When you’re going to be on a call, practice the things you know you’re going to say. Like, actually practice out loud.
If you have to present something on a call, whether it’s with potential clients or just sharing with your colleagues, rehearsal is important. Go over the main details you know you’ll touch on, and prepare answers for possible questions that might come your way during or after your presentation.
For calls with interviewers, think about what kind of questions they’ll ask you, and practice the answers you’ll give. Talking to yourself and hearing your answers out loud before saying them in an interview can be helpful, and help you make sure you come across like the smart, knowledgeable candidate that you are.
3. Find a Separate Space
If you’re working from home, it’s important to have a place in your home that’s a dedicated working space. You don’t need a full office setup; the corner of your bedroom or even the kitchen table is perfect. The most important thing is that you’re able to separate your work and personal spaces.
Use your work space for your work calls as well as your daily work tasks. The human body is easily influenced by habits. Train your brain so that you’re working when you’re at the table, and relaxing when you’re in bed or on the couch. The lines between your work life and personal life are blurred enough when you work from home, so make it easy on yourself by separating spaces.
Nobody likes work calls, but if you follow these 3 steps, you’ll notice how much better and more confident you feel in the next Zoom meeting. Create habits that stick and leave your phone anxiety behind!
- 7 Ways to Prevent Work-From-Home Burnout
- How to Get a Customer to Pay Your Invoice
- New Year’s Resolutions for Small Business Owners
- Holiday Gifts for Small Business Owners
- Why You Should Use an Invoice Template Software
- Managing & Engaging Your Remote Employees
- How to Deal With Difficult Customers
- How to Send an Invoice
- 4 Simple Steps to Start Freelancing
- You’re Setting the Wrong Goals for Your Business
- How to Get Over Your Phone Anxiety
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business
- 4 Steps to Take When Taking on a New Client
- Introducing Cash Receipt Templates!
- How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
- 9 Invoicing Documents, and When You Should Use Them
- Common Mistakes Freelancers Make
- How to Network Without Leaving Your Home
- 6 Signs That You Might be Ready for a Side Hustle
- 8 Financial Blogs Small Business Owners Need to Read
- How to Prevent Late Payments on Invoices
- Top 10 Countries by Startup Ecosystem
- 5 Reasons To Use Paperless Invoices
- How to Avoid a Toxic Workplace
- Why You Should Upgrade to Unlimited Invoicing
- Tech and Economy: How Tel Aviv became the Start-up City
- The Importance of Customer Service
- What is an Invoice?
- 5 Plants to Minimize Toxins & Maximize Productivity
- M-Commerce in Developing Countries
- Customize Your Invoice
- 9 Ways to Vacation Stress-Free
- How to Get Your Laptop Spring-Ready
- The Truth About Failure
- 5 Women You Should Know About
- The Most Expensive Super Bowl Ads of All Time
- Top 10 Cities for Female Entrepreneurs
- Jobs That Didn't Exist 20 Years Ago
- Gifts for the Entrepreneur in Your Life
- How to Secure Your Small Business
- Unique Ways to Thank Your Customers
- Best Cities to Live in With a Salary of $50,000
- How Your Business Can Profit From Halloween
- How to Separate Yourself from Your Business
- How to Manage Your Mental Health as a Business Owner
- Books to Read Before Starting a Business
- 5 Ways to Get Loyal Customers
- Why You Should Take a Staycation
- Businesses You Can Start While Working Full Time
- Should Freelancers Ever Work for Free?
- How to Stay Active at the Office
- Best Business Ideas for People Who Love to Travel
- How to Perfect Your Elevator Pitch
- The Best Places in the World to Work Online From
- 5 Businesses You Can Start for Free
- How to Organize Your Desk for Maximum Productivity
- How Your Business Can Profit off the World Cup
- What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Business
- How to Become a Wedding Planner
- Why Veterans Make Perfect Entrepreneurs
- Why Every Day Should Be "Take Your Dog to Work Day"
- How to Enjoy Your Summer
- 3 tips For First-Time Freelancers
- 3 Tips for a Stress-Free Vacation
- Spring Cleaning in The Office
- 5 Tips When Starting Your Business
- New to Invoicing
- 3 Tips on Last Minute Tax Filing
- Characteristics of a Successful Business Owner
- Accomplishing Your 2018 Goals
- How to Set and Achieve Your New Year's Goals
- Tips For Boosting Your Productivity
- Motivational Quotes to Get You Through Any Day
- New Flags on The Template Gallery!
- Be Featured on Our Site!
- How to Create Your First Invoice
- A Helping Hand on the Road to Success
- How Wine and Invoicing Go Together
- How to Use 'My Reports' as Statements
- 1st Day of Summer
- A Faster Way to Organize and View Your Documents
- 3 Ways to Wrap Up Your Month
- 5 Activities You Have Time for While Using Invoice Home
- Creating a Partial Payment
- What Invoices and Technology have in Common
- Get an Invoice that Suits You
- Need more details in your Invoice? No problem! Use the Advanced Form.
- Ready to bill your client? Awesome! Time to convert your Estimate into an Invoice.
- Stay organized! Bookmark customers, unpaid.. Here’s how!
- Need Two Taxes on One Item or a Compound Tax?
- Providing discounts? Effortless work-flow here!
- 500 Free Business Logos for You!
- Introducing 300 awesome Invoice Templates - Make your Business Shine!
- Invoice faster, write less. Copy items like this!
- Faster invoicing? Use the ‘Copy’ button. Here’s How.
- Don't mess with passwords anymore!
- Invoice paid in cash? Set it as “Paid” manually.
- Invoice customers faster with the ‘Email’ feature!
- Self-Organized Invoicing is Here!
- See why the New Invoice Home got a 5 Star Rating!
- 100 Professional Invoice Templates to promote your Brand
- Taxable and Non-Taxable Items on One Invoice? Here’s How!
- Get paid faster with Payment Links! Here’s how.