Published July 16, 2018
If you’re like the typical worker, the sad reality is that you probably spend more time at your desk than you do with family. How you work is based largely on where you work, so chances are if you are working in a disorganized space your work is disorganized as well. Here are some tips on how to organize your desk for maximum productivity so you can get your work done quickly and get home even quicker.
Get Rid of Everything You Don’t Use-Yes Everything
That random stress ball you got from that IT conference two years ago? Get rid of it. Those un-opened packages of thumbtacks? Pass it along to someone who actually has a bulletin board. Junk drawer overflowing? Call your local junkman to take it away.
Dedicate half a day to going through your drawers, boxes, and files and throw out anything you haven’t touched for the last six months. Like you would do with your home, have two boxes: one for donations and one for garbage. Not only will your office feel better without extra “stuff”, but you’ll feel better about helping someone (even if it’s just your coworker) in need. Starting with a clean slate will allow you to make a clean break from your unnecessary knick-knacks.
Separate Your To-Dos from Your All-Done
Out with the old, in with the new! While it might seem like the most obvious organizational hack, this tip is a tried and true winner. Keep two trays on your desk: one for documents and tasks that need to be done and one for papers that still need to be looked at. Not only will you have a good sense of how much work needs to still be done, but you will feel more motivated by seeing how much work you have already accomplished. Better yet, if you clearly label your incoming tray your coworkers will be able to just leave important papers for you in a more organized way. No need to pester your colleagues at the copy or coffee machine.
By organizing your desk more efficiently your goal should be to focus more and zone out less, but this can be achieved by creating different zones or areas on your desk. Most experts suggest two zones: one for computer-related activities and one for, well, everything else. By having your document reading section away from your desktop you will make sure that you will not be distracted by the constant pings of new emails.
The sky’s the limit! When you run out of space on your desktop you will always have space above and below. Put any tools that you don’t use every day, such as staplers, tape dispensers, and hole punches (unless you’re an office supply dealer) in your desk drawers. Aside from your classic desk drawers, invest in some real estate above your desk. One simple trick is to use a stand for your lap/desktop to free up some space and keep your screen at eye level. Investing in shelves means you can organize your files (and maybe some pictures of your dog) in a place that’s easy to reach yet out of the way.
Get Yourself a Big Trash Can
Don’t settle for those mini-office trash cans; shoot for the full-size Oscar the Grouch receptacle. Having a larger wastebasket will not only make you feel better about creating, well, waste but will give you a visual goal of how much you should be getting rid of. These days most files are digitized and kept securely in the cloud, so there’s really no need to keep piles of physical files. But of course, a big trash can needs a matching big recycling bin to boot.
Would you rather work in a dreary-white office with barren walls or one with some personality? While you might think that having a plain space would keep you focused, adding some character to your desk can give you the motivation to get through your 9-5. Family photos, artwork, inspirational quotes from Instagram- adding any one of these can help you get through your sea of emails more efficiently and keep you from being an ordinary desk jockey. Just be careful you don’t add too many distractions as most experts suggest limiting your personal items to three or less. It’s the perfect amount to keep you going, but not enough to clutter up the office you worked so hard to clean.
Straighten Up Before You Leave
Remember the 10 second tidy your parents made you do when you were a kid? Turns out mom and pop had good advice. If you take the last five minutes before you leave every day to straighten up papers, take out the garbage, and dust your computer screen, your office will stay spotless and keep your distractions to a minimum. Plus this way you won’t have to dedicate hours to spring cleaning as your space will already be neat. Wouldn’t you rather devote five minutes every day to light tidying than an entire workday to heavy-duty cleaning?
When in Doubt, Get a Cactus
Want a simple way to increase your productivity? Science says get yourself a plant. According to a study, productivity and attention in an office increased by 15% when there was a plant in sight. This can even be just seeing greenery out of your window if you don’t have a green thumb. For extra efficiency, check out plants that require little work such as cacti, aloe, and peace lilies. Better yet, you won’t feel guilty for forgetting to water them (and causing their untimely death).
While these tips have been proven to increase productivity remember that your workspace should be customized to fit your individual needs. One organization tool that works for every business is our fully customizable invoice templates. Easily create, send and store personalized invoices on our site. Your bills will be one less thing cluttering up your desk.
- What Is An Invoice? The 4 Most Important Elements.
- HOW TO: A Guide to Invoice Home - Features & Functions
- HOW TO: Create Your First Invoice with Invoice Home
- HOW TO: Archive Items with Invoice Home
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 1 - Steps to Set-up
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 2 - Seeing Sent Invoices
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 3 - Editing and Making Changes
- HOW TO: Recurring Invoices - pt. 4 - Stopping
- How To: Add a Partial Payment with Invoice Home!
- HOW TO: Add Two Taxes or a Compounded Tax to an Invoice
- HOW TO: Add Taxable and Non-Taxable Items on One Invoice
- HOW TO: Copy Invoice Items Quickly!
- HOW TO: Self-Organized Invoicing is Here!
- HOW TO: Manually Mark Invoices as Paid
- HOW TO: Invoice Customers Faster With the Email Feature!
- HOW TO: Get Paid in a Flash With Payment Links!
- HOW TO: Copy an Invoice to Create a New One
- 300 Stunning Invoice Templates for a Polished, Professional Look!
- 3 Tips For Enjoying Summer, Even When You Have to Work!
- 7 Ways to Prevent Work-From-Home Burnout
- How to Get a Customer to Pay Your Invoice
- New Year’s Resolutions for Small Business Owners
- Holiday Gifts for Small Business Owners
- Why You Should Use an Invoice Template Software
- Managing & Engaging Your Remote Employees
- How to Deal With Difficult Customers
- HOW TO: Send an Invoice
- 4 Simple Steps to Start Freelancing
- How Your Business Can Profit From Halloween
- You’re Setting the Wrong Goals for Your Business
- How to Get Over Your Phone Anxiety
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business
- 4 Steps to Take When Taking on a New Client
- Introducing Cash Receipt Templates!
- How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
- 9 Invoicing Documents, and When You Should Use Them
- Common Mistakes Freelancers Make
- How to Network Without Leaving Your Home
- 6 Signs That You Might be Ready for a Side Hustle
- 8 Financial Blogs Small Business Owners Need to Read
- How to Prevent Late Payments on Invoices
- Top 10 Countries by Startup Ecosystem
- 5 Reasons To Use Paperless Invoices
- How to Avoid a Toxic Workplace
- Why You Should Upgrade to Unlimited Invoicing
- Tech and Economy: How Tel Aviv became the Start-up City
- The Importance of Customer Service
- 5 Plants to Minimize Toxins & Maximize Productivity
- M-Commerce in Developing Countries
- Customize Your Invoice
- 9 Ways to Vacation Stress-Free
- How to Get Your Laptop Spring-Ready
- The Truth About Failure
- 5 Women You Should Know About
- The Most Expensive Super Bowl Ads of All Time
- Top 10 Cities for Female Entrepreneurs
- Jobs That Didn't Exist 20 Years Ago
- Gifts for the Entrepreneur in Your Life
- How to Secure Your Small Business
- Unique Ways to Thank Your Customers
- Best Cities to Live in With a Salary of $50,000
- How to Separate Yourself from Your Business
- How to Manage Your Mental Health as a Business Owner
- Books to Read Before Starting a Business
- 5 Ways to Get Loyal Customers
- Why You Should Take a Staycation
- Businesses You Can Start While Working Full Time
- Should Freelancers Ever Work for Free?
- How to Stay Active at the Office
- Best Business Ideas for People Who Love to Travel
- How to Perfect Your Elevator Pitch
- The Best Places in the World to Work Online From
- 5 Businesses You Can Start for Free
- How to Organize Your Desk for Maximum Productivity
- How Your Business Can Profit off the World Cup
- What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Business
- How to Become a Wedding Planner
- Why Veterans Make Perfect Entrepreneurs
- Why Every Day Should Be "Take Your Dog to Work Day"
- 3 tips For First-Time Freelancers
- 3 Tips for a Stress-Free Vacation
- Spring Cleaning in The Office
- 5 Tips When Starting Your Business
- New to Invoicing
- 3 Tips on Last Minute Tax Filing
- Characteristics of a Successful Business Owner
- Accomplishing Your 2018 Goals
- How to Set and Achieve Your New Year's Goals
- Tips For Boosting Your Productivity
- Motivational Quotes to Get You Through Any Day
- New Flags on The Template Gallery!
- Be Featured on Our Site!
- A Helping Hand on the Road to Success
- How Wine and Invoicing Go Together
- How to Use 'My Reports' as Statements
- 1st Day of Summer
- A Faster Way to Organize and View Your Documents
- 3 Ways to Wrap Up Your Month
- 5 Activities You Have Time for While Using Invoice Home
- What Invoices and Technology have in Common
- Get an Invoice that Suits You
- Need more details in your Invoice? No problem! Use the Advanced Form.
- Ready to bill your client? Awesome! Time to convert your Estimate into an Invoice.
- Stay organized! Bookmark customers, unpaid.. Here’s how!
- Providing discounts? Effortless work-flow here!
- 500 Free Business Logos for You!
- Don't mess with passwords anymore!
- See why the New Invoice Home got a 5 Star Rating!
- 100 Professional Invoice Templates to promote your Brand