Published January 24, 2019
The future is female! At least, when it comes to business. With now 39% of all small businesses in the United States being run by women, the face of the average entrepreneur is beginning to change. Technology conglomerate Dell recently revealed the top ten cities in the world for female entrepreneurs, so whether you’re an established boss babe or a work-from-home mom, there are plenty of places for you to make your mark in the traditionally male world of business. Here are the top ten cities, in order, for female entrepreneurs according to Dell:
1. New York City
It’s no surprise that the city that never sleeps is the perfect place for hustling women and busy moms to succeed. New York has become a hub for startups in the past decade due to an increasing number of co-working spaces, access to worldwide talent, and a general preference for unique smaller businesses thanks to the hipster generation. With a women to men ratio of 100 to 89, you’ll surely find an encouraging community amongst women and maybe a female business partner or two.
2. Bay Area, California
Move over Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg, there’s a new, more feminine, face in Silicon Valley. As women are becoming more and more involved in technology, thanks largely to STEM programs being targeted to young girls and college-aged students, more women are taking the initiative in starting their own companies. Success stories include Anne Wojcicki, CEO of 23andMe and Susan Wojcicki, CEO of Youtube. These days, both business and technology aren’t just for men anymore.
3. London, UK
Looking to start a global business venture? Look no further than across the pond! The home of the London Eye is frequently eyed by successful venture capitalists, meaning you’ll have no problems securing funding for your next big business. With a large international presence, your business can go from startup to global empire with the right connections and amount of hard work. With a female Prime Minister (at time of writing) and the Queen taking center stage in UK politics, there is a much greater balance of gender in power and high ranking positions, meaning no one will give you the side eye when you’re a female pitching your idea to investors.
4. Boston, Massachusetts
Home to the founding fathers of the United States, this dynamic city is now home to distinguished business founders. Boston is home to many first-class universities like MIT and Harvard, meaning there is plenty of undiscovered minds and talents who will be looking for work once they graduate. Even better, if you’re a working mom your children will have the best of the best education. If you’re looking to start a new business, why not make a new start in New England?
5. Stockholm, Sweden
Surprised to see Sweden on the list? Don’t be. With global companies like Spotify and King Games (developers of the crazy addictive Candy Crush games) calling Stockholm home, businesses in Sweden have ballooned in popularity making it the second biggest producer of billion-dollar tech companies (after Silicon Valley, of course) in the world. Even better, with Sweden’s work benefits, work-life balance and ample paid time off you won’t develop Stockholm Syndrome with your business, allowing plenty of time for family and friends.
6. Los Angeles, California
If California is calling your name, but tech isn’t your game, then why not make the move to Los Angeles? In addition to the film industry, Los Angeles is home to many lifestyle and clothing brands including Colourpop Cosmetics and Forever 21. With 20% of women-run companies falling into the category of commerce and shopping, you’ll feel right at home building your business here.
7. Washington D.C.
Washington D.C. is so much more than just Capitol Hill and MAGA hats. Like Boston, Washington D.C. features an intellectual crowd, making it so there will be no shortage of talent waiting to work for you or become your business partner. Washington D.C. boasts the highest percentage of women-owned businesses at 30%, making it a sure bet for success for first-time female entrepreneurs.
A haven for gig workers and digital nomads, Singapore presents an exotic destination for any entrepreneur, not just females. With low taxes, good business infrastructure, and fewer gender politics, Singapore is the perfect place for starting a business if you have less capital or prefer to fly solo. Speaking of flying, Singapore is close to many attractive international destinations so if you’re looking for a complete 180 from your traditional office job this city might just be the ticket.
9. Toronto, Canada
If you’re looking for a great place to start a business then look no further than the Great White North. One of the most diverse cities on this list, Toronto offers an international community and with that comes a more open mind and attitude toward smaller businesses. Canada frequently hosts forums and conventions for female entrepreneurs, including the Forum for Women Entrepreneurs, so if you start a female-run business in Toronto it surely will be something that is talked “aboot”.
10. Seattle, Washington
Home to Starbucks, Amazon, and Microsoft, Seattle knows a thing or two about entrepreneurship. Many tech entrepreneurs have been ditching the overcrowded Silicon Valley in favor of the Emerald City and with a wealth of capital, young population, and natural setting it’s easy to see why. Like it’s Pacific Northwestern sister city Portland, many Seattle residents prefer to support local businesses rather than large corporations (aka it’s full of hipsters) so if the rainy days don’t get you down than why not give Seattle a try?
Did any of your favorite cities make the list? At Invoice Home we believe that entrepreneurs can begin a successful business in any city, from Anchorage to Zagreb. This is why we created the Invoice Home App available on the App Store and Google Play so you can take your business (and invoices) with you anytime, anywhere.
- 7 Ways to Prevent Work-From-Home Burnout
- How to Get a Customer to Pay Your Invoice
- New Year’s Resolutions for Small Business Owners
- Holiday Gifts for Small Business Owners
- Why You Should Use an Invoice Template Software
- Managing & Engaging Your Remote Employees
- How to Deal With Difficult Customers
- How to Send an Invoice
- 4 Simple Steps to Start Freelancing
- You’re Setting the Wrong Goals for Your Business
- How to Get Over Your Phone Anxiety
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business
- 4 Steps to Take When Taking on a New Client
- Introducing Cash Receipt Templates!
- How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
- 9 Invoicing Documents, and When You Should Use Them
- Common Mistakes Freelancers Make
- How to Network Without Leaving Your Home
- 6 Signs That You Might be Ready for a Side Hustle
- 8 Financial Blogs Small Business Owners Need to Read
- How to Prevent Late Payments on Invoices
- Top 10 Countries by Startup Ecosystem
- 5 Reasons To Use Paperless Invoices
- How to Avoid a Toxic Workplace
- Why You Should Upgrade to Unlimited Invoicing
- Tech and Economy: How Tel Aviv became the Start-up City
- The Importance of Customer Service
- What is an Invoice?
- 5 Plants to Minimize Toxins & Maximize Productivity
- M-Commerce in Developing Countries
- Customize Your Invoice
- 9 Ways to Vacation Stress-Free
- How to Get Your Laptop Spring-Ready
- The Truth About Failure
- 5 Women You Should Know About
- The Most Expensive Super Bowl Ads of All Time
- Top 10 Cities for Female Entrepreneurs
- Jobs That Didn't Exist 20 Years Ago
- Gifts for the Entrepreneur in Your Life
- How to Secure Your Small Business
- Unique Ways to Thank Your Customers
- Best Cities to Live in With a Salary of $50,000
- How Your Business Can Profit From Halloween
- How to Separate Yourself from Your Business
- How to Manage Your Mental Health as a Business Owner
- Books to Read Before Starting a Business
- 5 Ways to Get Loyal Customers
- Why You Should Take a Staycation
- Businesses You Can Start While Working Full Time
- Should Freelancers Ever Work for Free?
- How to Stay Active at the Office
- Best Business Ideas for People Who Love to Travel
- How to Perfect Your Elevator Pitch
- The Best Places in the World to Work Online From
- 5 Businesses You Can Start for Free
- How to Organize Your Desk for Maximum Productivity
- How Your Business Can Profit off the World Cup
- What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Business
- How to Become a Wedding Planner
- Why Veterans Make Perfect Entrepreneurs
- Why Every Day Should Be "Take Your Dog to Work Day"
- How to Enjoy Your Summer
- 3 tips For First-Time Freelancers
- 3 Tips for a Stress-Free Vacation
- Spring Cleaning in The Office
- 5 Tips When Starting Your Business
- New to Invoicing
- 3 Tips on Last Minute Tax Filing
- Characteristics of a Successful Business Owner
- Accomplishing Your 2018 Goals
- How to Set and Achieve Your New Year's Goals
- Tips For Boosting Your Productivity
- Motivational Quotes to Get You Through Any Day
- New Flags on The Template Gallery!
- Be Featured on Our Site!
- How to Create Your First Invoice
- A Helping Hand on the Road to Success
- How Wine and Invoicing Go Together
- How to Use 'My Reports' as Statements
- 1st Day of Summer
- A Faster Way to Organize and View Your Documents
- 3 Ways to Wrap Up Your Month
- 5 Activities You Have Time for While Using Invoice Home
- Creating a Partial Payment
- What Invoices and Technology have in Common
- Get an Invoice that Suits You
- Need more details in your Invoice? No problem! Use the Advanced Form.
- Ready to bill your client? Awesome! Time to convert your Estimate into an Invoice.
- Stay organized! Bookmark customers, unpaid.. Here’s how!
- Need Two Taxes on One Item or a Compound Tax?
- Providing discounts? Effortless work-flow here!
- 500 Free Business Logos for You!
- Introducing 300 awesome Invoice Templates - Make your Business Shine!
- Invoice faster, write less. Copy items like this!
- Faster invoicing? Use the ‘Copy’ button. Here’s How.
- Don't mess with passwords anymore!
- Invoice paid in cash? Set it as “Paid” manually.
- Invoice customers faster with the ‘Email’ feature!
- Self-Organized Invoicing is Here!
- See why the New Invoice Home got a 5 Star Rating!
- 100 Professional Invoice Templates to promote your Brand
- Taxable and Non-Taxable Items on One Invoice? Here’s How!
- Get paid faster with Payment Links! Here’s how.