Published April 04, 2018
© baranq /Adobe Stock
Now’s the moment you’ve been preparing for. You’ve successfully solidified your business model, you have a swanky logo, and you have your first client! (Congrats!). But now what?
Now you have to think about the money.
When running your own business, your income can depend solely on the payments you receive from your clients. This reality is often difficult for business owners to acknowledge, but once you accept it, being paid should be on the top of your priority list.
It’s normal for new business owners to feel unsure of the process of invoicing or requesting the monetary value of their services.
If you still feel uneasy about invoicing, check out our 3 tips that can help.
1. Know Your Worth
It’s completely ok to not be confident when starting your own business. If you wait until your business is perfectly planned, then you will never begin. Businesses are not perfect when they start, they grow as you do, you learn what works and what doesn't for your business and so you adapt or you adjust certain things. You basically learn as you go, the same can be said about invoicing. However, when starting out, know your worth but also be reasonable. Always make sure you are making a profit, otherwise, you won’t be able to cover other business expenses or be able to pay your bills. Know the time your services take out of your day and always keep in mind the expenses used for you to provide your services. Getting more than you put out is the name of the game otherwise you can kiss your business goodbye.
2. Establish Your Payment and Terms
If this is your first time discussing payments and terms, don't feel shy about what you demand. Remember that this is the only way you and your business will receive the respect you deserve. Go over everything; forms of payments, expected dates of payment, etc. If you would like a payment of deposit upfront (depending on the work involved) don't be afraid to say so. It’s all up to you, that’s the beauty of being your own boss but also keep in mind that you may have to be flexible with some clients that may want to negotiate different payment terms.
3. Create an Invoice
When creating an invoice, there is no exact format - but certain items are expected. If you’re new to the invoice world and a bit anxious about creating one, worry not. There are sites that do half the work for you, just like our very own Invoice Home! (we might be a bit biased ;D ) Creating an invoice might be the last thing you want to deal with which is why we make invoicing an easy and fast process. Create and send your invoice with just a few clicks! After creating an account with us, all of your invoices are saved for future reference. You’ll need them for tax season. Your account will also send your client a payment reminder as the date approaches. Our system also allows your clients to pay you by credit card or PayPal.
We hope that this helps make invoicing less of a daunting process, now go make your business a success!
- 7 Ways to Prevent Work-From-Home Burnout
- How to Get a Customer to Pay Your Invoice
- New Year’s Resolutions for Small Business Owners
- Holiday Gifts for Small Business Owners
- Why You Should Use an Invoice Template Software
- Managing & Engaging Your Remote Employees
- How to Deal With Difficult Customers
- How to Send an Invoice
- 4 Simple Steps to Start Freelancing
- You’re Setting the Wrong Goals for Your Business
- How to Get Over Your Phone Anxiety
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business
- 4 Steps to Take When Taking on a New Client
- Introducing Cash Receipt Templates!
- How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
- 9 Invoicing Documents, and When You Should Use Them
- Common Mistakes Freelancers Make
- How to Network Without Leaving Your Home
- 6 Signs That You Might be Ready for a Side Hustle
- 8 Financial Blogs Small Business Owners Need to Read
- How to Prevent Late Payments on Invoices
- Top 10 Countries by Startup Ecosystem
- 5 Reasons To Use Paperless Invoices
- How to Avoid a Toxic Workplace
- Why You Should Upgrade to Unlimited Invoicing
- Tech and Economy: How Tel Aviv became the Start-up City
- The Importance of Customer Service
- What is an Invoice?
- 5 Plants to Minimize Toxins & Maximize Productivity
- M-Commerce in Developing Countries
- Customize Your Invoice
- 9 Ways to Vacation Stress-Free
- How to Get Your Laptop Spring-Ready
- The Truth About Failure
- 5 Women You Should Know About
- The Most Expensive Super Bowl Ads of All Time
- Top 10 Cities for Female Entrepreneurs
- Jobs That Didn't Exist 20 Years Ago
- Gifts for the Entrepreneur in Your Life
- How to Secure Your Small Business
- Unique Ways to Thank Your Customers
- Best Cities to Live in With a Salary of $50,000
- How Your Business Can Profit From Halloween
- How to Separate Yourself from Your Business
- How to Manage Your Mental Health as a Business Owner
- Books to Read Before Starting a Business
- 5 Ways to Get Loyal Customers
- Why You Should Take a Staycation
- Businesses You Can Start While Working Full Time
- Should Freelancers Ever Work for Free?
- How to Stay Active at the Office
- Best Business Ideas for People Who Love to Travel
- How to Perfect Your Elevator Pitch
- The Best Places in the World to Work Online From
- 5 Businesses You Can Start for Free
- How to Organize Your Desk for Maximum Productivity
- How Your Business Can Profit off the World Cup
- What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Business
- How to Become a Wedding Planner
- Why Veterans Make Perfect Entrepreneurs
- Why Every Day Should Be "Take Your Dog to Work Day"
- How to Enjoy Your Summer
- 3 tips For First-Time Freelancers
- 3 Tips for a Stress-Free Vacation
- Spring Cleaning in The Office
- 5 Tips When Starting Your Business
- New to Invoicing
- 3 Tips on Last Minute Tax Filing
- Characteristics of a Successful Business Owner
- Accomplishing Your 2018 Goals
- How to Set and Achieve Your New Year's Goals
- Tips For Boosting Your Productivity
- Motivational Quotes to Get You Through Any Day
- New Flags on The Template Gallery!
- Be Featured on Our Site!
- How to Create Your First Invoice
- A Helping Hand on the Road to Success
- How Wine and Invoicing Go Together
- How to Use 'My Reports' as Statements
- 1st Day of Summer
- A Faster Way to Organize and View Your Documents
- 3 Ways to Wrap Up Your Month
- 5 Activities You Have Time for While Using Invoice Home
- Creating a Partial Payment
- What Invoices and Technology have in Common
- Get an Invoice that Suits You
- Need more details in your Invoice? No problem! Use the Advanced Form.
- Ready to bill your client? Awesome! Time to convert your Estimate into an Invoice.
- Stay organized! Bookmark customers, unpaid.. Here’s how!
- Need Two Taxes on One Item or a Compound Tax?
- Providing discounts? Effortless work-flow here!
- 500 Free Business Logos for You!
- Introducing 300 awesome Invoice Templates - Make your Business Shine!
- Invoice faster, write less. Copy items like this!
- Faster invoicing? Use the ‘Copy’ button. Here’s How.
- Don't mess with passwords anymore!
- Invoice paid in cash? Set it as “Paid” manually.
- Invoice customers faster with the ‘Email’ feature!
- Self-Organized Invoicing is Here!
- See why the New Invoice Home got a 5 Star Rating!
- 100 Professional Invoice Templates to promote your Brand
- Taxable and Non-Taxable Items on One Invoice? Here’s How!
- Get paid faster with Payment Links! Here’s how.