Published December 30, 2019
StartupBlink’s yearly report on Startup Ecosystems around the globe was released for 2019. This report uses special algorithms and data points to rank over 100 countries around the globe and illustrate where startup founders can expect to find the best support from like-minded entrepreneurs, infrastructure, governments and much more.
Without further ado, here are the top 10 countries by startup ecosystem according to StartupBlink’s 2019 report:
1. United States of America
This should come as no surprise, as the United States has the biggest economy of any nation in the world. The monolithic tech-giants like Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, are all US-based corporations. The largest startup ecosystem in the world is based around Silicon Valley and the San Francisco-Bay Area. However, other startup ecosystems exist and thrive in many other American metropolitan areas such as Boston, New York, Seattle, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Austin. The US has by-far-and-away the number 1 startup ecosystem in the world.
2. United Kingdom
The UK’s startup ecosystem comes in second, though almost all existing startups, and startup infrastructure, is centered around the capital city: London. London is a great startup city with some highly influential startups, such as Revolut, Transferwise, Deliveroo, and BenevolentAI.
Being one of the most important financial cities in the world, and home to the London Stock Exchange, has allowed Britain to develop into one of the top startup ecosystems worldwide.
Coming in at number three, Canada has quite a diverse and robust startup ecosystem as well. Home to companies such as HootSuite, Shopify, 500px, Corel, and OpenText; most tech startups and companies have come out of big cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. However, medium-sized cities such as Ottawa and Waterloo (both in the province of Ontario) also have quite large startup ecosystems.
The first non-native English-speaking country on the list is Israel. Israel has a very developed startup ecosystem largely centred around the city of Tel Aviv. Israel hosts offices of many multinational corporations and has a highly skilled labor-pool. Many world-renowned tech companies have come out of Israel in recent years such as Waze, Wix, Monday.com and Viber.
Australia is the least-populated English-speaking country on the list, and the fourth in the top 5. Australia has a creative and entrepreneurial spirit, home to companies such as Canva, Biteable and 99Designs. Startup ecosystems exist in most major cities down under like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.
6. The Netherlands
Despite the fact that more than 90% of Dutch people can speak English, The Netherlands is officially the first non-English-speaking country in Europe to make the list. Being such a small country geographically, the Dutch startup ecosystem is largely centered around its largest city, Amsterdam. Here you can find the headquarters of innovative tech companies like Booking.com, Bynder, and Adyen to name a few.
Sweden boasts many corporate household names such as Ikea, Volvo and H&M. However, in recent years, the Swedes have been able to add two additional names to that list: Skype and Spotify. StartupBlink notes that the Swedish government has been instrumental in supporting tech startups, developing Stockholm into the home of the second-most unicorns (companies with a $1-billion or more valuation) per capita after Silicon Valley.
Since the country is part German-speaking, part French-speaking, and part Italian-speaking, this makes Switzerland a diverse home for startups that easily opens itself up to larger neighboring European markets. Startup ecosystems exist and thrive in cities like Zurich, Geneva, and Lausanne, with up-and-coming tech names like ProtonMail, Acronis, and Numbrs, calling these cities home.
Germany is home to the largest population in the European Union and the biggest economy in Europe. While many of us know some of the large multinational corporations from Germany, the German government has also managed to lend support to building a great startup ecosystem, particularly in and around the capital of Berlin.
Companies like HelloFresh, SoundCloud, and ResearchGate have all come out of the commendable German startup ecosystem.
Barcelona and Madrid are home to the biggest startup ecosystems in Spain. Spain rose four spots to number 10 on this list since StartupBlink’s last report in 2017. With companies like Carto, Sherpa.ai and Wallapop leading the way for future Spanish tech companies, watch out as Spain continues to ascend this list in the years to come!
For more information, the 2019 StartupBlink report can be found here. Many thanks to them for publishing this report and for giving us some insightful metrics to measure startup ecosystems across countries around the world.
- HOW TO: Add Two Taxes or a Compounded Tax to an Invoice
- HOW TO: Manually Mark Invoices as Paid
- HOW TO: Copy Invoice Items Quickly!
- HOW TO: Add Taxable and Non-Taxable Items on One Invoice
- HOW TO: Self-Organized Invoicing is Here!
- HOW TO: Get Paid in a Flash With Payment Links!
- HOW TO: Invoice Customers Faster With the Email Feature!
- HOW TO: Copy an Invoice to Create a New One
- 300 Stunning Invoice Templates for a Polished, Professional Look!
- 3 Tips For Enjoying Summer, Even When You Have to Work!
- 7 Ways to Prevent Work-From-Home Burnout
- How to Get a Customer to Pay Your Invoice
- New Year’s Resolutions for Small Business Owners
- Holiday Gifts for Small Business Owners
- Why You Should Use an Invoice Template Software
- Managing & Engaging Your Remote Employees
- How to Deal With Difficult Customers
- How to Send an Invoice
- 4 Simple Steps to Start Freelancing
- How Your Business Can Profit From Halloween
- You’re Setting the Wrong Goals for Your Business
- How to Get Over Your Phone Anxiety
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Starting a Business
- 4 Steps to Take When Taking on a New Client
- Introducing Cash Receipt Templates!
- How to Make Your Small Business More Professional
- 9 Invoicing Documents, and When You Should Use Them
- Common Mistakes Freelancers Make
- How to Network Without Leaving Your Home
- 6 Signs That You Might be Ready for a Side Hustle
- 8 Financial Blogs Small Business Owners Need to Read
- How to Prevent Late Payments on Invoices
- Top 10 Countries by Startup Ecosystem
- 5 Reasons To Use Paperless Invoices
- How to Avoid a Toxic Workplace
- Why You Should Upgrade to Unlimited Invoicing
- Tech and Economy: How Tel Aviv became the Start-up City
- The Importance of Customer Service
- What is an Invoice?
- 5 Plants to Minimize Toxins & Maximize Productivity
- M-Commerce in Developing Countries
- Customize Your Invoice
- 9 Ways to Vacation Stress-Free
- How to Get Your Laptop Spring-Ready
- The Truth About Failure
- 5 Women You Should Know About
- The Most Expensive Super Bowl Ads of All Time
- Top 10 Cities for Female Entrepreneurs
- Jobs That Didn't Exist 20 Years Ago
- Gifts for the Entrepreneur in Your Life
- How to Secure Your Small Business
- Unique Ways to Thank Your Customers
- Best Cities to Live in With a Salary of $50,000
- How to Separate Yourself from Your Business
- How to Manage Your Mental Health as a Business Owner
- Books to Read Before Starting a Business
- 5 Ways to Get Loyal Customers
- Why You Should Take a Staycation
- Businesses You Can Start While Working Full Time
- Should Freelancers Ever Work for Free?
- How to Stay Active at the Office
- Best Business Ideas for People Who Love to Travel
- How to Perfect Your Elevator Pitch
- The Best Places in the World to Work Online From
- 5 Businesses You Can Start for Free
- How to Organize Your Desk for Maximum Productivity
- How Your Business Can Profit off the World Cup
- What the Color of Your Logo Says About Your Business
- How to Become a Wedding Planner
- Why Veterans Make Perfect Entrepreneurs
- Why Every Day Should Be "Take Your Dog to Work Day"
- 3 tips For First-Time Freelancers
- 3 Tips for a Stress-Free Vacation
- Spring Cleaning in The Office
- 5 Tips When Starting Your Business
- New to Invoicing
- 3 Tips on Last Minute Tax Filing
- Characteristics of a Successful Business Owner
- Accomplishing Your 2018 Goals
- How to Set and Achieve Your New Year's Goals
- Tips For Boosting Your Productivity
- Motivational Quotes to Get You Through Any Day
- New Flags on The Template Gallery!
- Be Featured on Our Site!
- How to Create Your First Invoice
- A Helping Hand on the Road to Success
- How Wine and Invoicing Go Together
- How to Use 'My Reports' as Statements
- 1st Day of Summer
- A Faster Way to Organize and View Your Documents
- 3 Ways to Wrap Up Your Month
- 5 Activities You Have Time for While Using Invoice Home
- Creating a Partial Payment
- What Invoices and Technology have in Common
- Get an Invoice that Suits You
- Need more details in your Invoice? No problem! Use the Advanced Form.
- Ready to bill your client? Awesome! Time to convert your Estimate into an Invoice.
- Stay organized! Bookmark customers, unpaid.. Here’s how!
- Providing discounts? Effortless work-flow here!
- 500 Free Business Logos for You!
- Don't mess with passwords anymore!
- See why the New Invoice Home got a 5 Star Rating!
- 100 Professional Invoice Templates to promote your Brand